OK. So, Pokemon Black & White are about to be released outside of Japan, and today I had a thought. From the beginning, every Pokemon generation has had a third game released sometime after the initial pair, and the name of said third version has always matched the theme set by the first two. Red, Blue, & Yellow were primary colors. Gold, Silver & Crystal were precious metals/substances. Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald were gemstones, etc. So, my question is, did the Pokemon Co. make it hard on themselves when they chose to name the first pair of games for Gen 5 Black & White?

Think about it. What is the next version going to be called? Pokemon Gray? Pokemon Plaid? Pokemon Checkered version? The version mascot is always something already revealed in the first pair of games, so for those who've been poring over Veekun and other sites looking at all the new Pokemon, which one looks like it might grace the front of the next version?

The floor is open. What does everyone think the next version will be, and which new Pokemon will be its mascot?

The floor is open. What does everyone think the next versi

What does everyone think the next version will be, and which of the new pokem

Kyurem is Reshiram and Zekrom's third; I've heard that a legend is mentioned in B/W involving another dragon that Reshiram and Zekrom were ripped from, which sounds like the bedraggled Kyurem, and also gives it a hook to build an awesome alternate form for the third game on.

Anyway, a game based around Kyurem does seem like it'd be called Grey.

Wow. I didn't expect for this thread to arrive at what seems like a real answer so quickly. I expected a bunch of speculation / humorous suggestions. Still, part of the reason I posted was because I knew there were people out there who had more info than me and had examined the new BW Pokemon more closely.

Looking at the data for Kyurem for the first time, it does really seem like a good candidate. Whether or not it is complementary to Reshiram/Zekrom, it still should be awesome to have a Dragon/Ice type. How cool does that sound?

Ever since third gen it's generally been pretty obvious from very early on who the third mascot will be in each subsequent generation. Not sure why you expected anything other than a quick answer at this stage of the game. They've got it down to an easily identifiable formula and it would be very unusual of them to break that. That said, given the nature of this gen I'm half-hoping they DO break that formula and surprise us with something completely out of left field. How about not even have a pokemon as the mascot, let's see them make N the mascot. That would really shake things up.

Interestingly enough, I find that they tend to revolve around colors more then people think. Sapphires are blue, rubys are red, and emeralds are green. Red, Blue, and Green are the three colors that a computer uses to create every color the human eye can see. The same goes for the Japanese Blue Red and Green.

I'd have to say it would be Grey version, but that sounds so boring that I'm sure Nintendo will find a way to spice it up a bit.

Pepper colored?

Apparently they are claiming there won't even be a third version this time. I don't believe them though, it sounds like a ploy to get people like me to buy black or white instead of waiting for grey.

I'd personally like the idea of a gray version. but what would they replace in a gray version for the land in Black city (Exclusive to black version) and white forest (Exclusive to white version).

Apparently they are claiming there won't even be a third version this time. I don't believe them though, it sounds like a ploy to get people like me to buy black or white instead of waiting for grey.

Who's "they" and where did you actually hear this? Because it makes no sense. There are two moves (currently unobtainable!) that are just screaming to be alt.Kyurem's signature moves. Plus, there is a lot of implication ingame (usage of 'white', 'black', and 'gray'; Kyurem is "Gray" in the Pokédex)

The gray location could switch between white forest and black city. Less obviously, it could be gray park, where wild and tame pokemon are friends.

Well, I think it'll be a combination of White Forest and Black City. That's what was drawn on the artist's rendering of the map for the combined guide, anyway...

Pokémon Clear Version, obvious. Black & White are about the concepts of Yin & Yang. The third concept which goes with those two is “Void”. This fits in well with Kyurem’s type: the physical void, outer space, holds no heat, and ice isn’t really blue, it’s clear. The player characters’ Battle Subway names may contain a pun relating to tō, meaning transparent. Plus it sounds a lot better than Pokémon Grey.

P.S. ’Vee what is this OpenID shit? What a pain. I miss brown Veekun, shoutbox, etc..

Their Japanese Battle Subway names, rather. No editing? This bites.

neat