• Lexical scope — Miscellaneous nerdosity. Programming and... uh...
  • Using Database

I'm a beginner app-developer and an avid Pokemon fan! I'm having trouble getting the data from veekun's database though. I know how to query and manage a database using SQL commands, but setting one up is beyond me. I've used phpMyAdmin and a LAMP server to handle all the setup of my site, and I can't figure out how to use the SQLite files provided. I've already made a simple Pokemon web app using PHP and MySQL. I was able to get the basic data that I need by converting an HTML table from the awesome search on veekun. Now I'm trying to expand the app, and the sheer amount of data about Pokemon moves is daunting.

I'm not familiar with Python at all, but I tried setting it up with distribute, pip, and virtualenv. I've looked at the documentation on the veekun github, but it's not working for me. The problem I have is that I don't really understand what the commands are doing, so when they don't work, I'm not sure why. I've looked for tutorials on setting up distribute, pip, and virtualenv, but they all explain as if the reader knows how to use the commandline, which I don't. Heck, I may even have installed them all correctly, but I just don't know how to use them.

Does anyone know of a place that explains it really well? Or perhaps a better way to get the data? I'm trying get the database set up so I can query it to get the data and store it in my MySQL database. Is there a more simple way of doing that?

Thanks!